Friday, May 26, 2006

 

I Am So Very Sad...

The reasons why I am sad are too numerous to count. But tonight, I intend to write about one reason. My Ruby, the Bobo, and SquirrelNuts are moving to Japan. Not Little Tokyo in San Franscisco. NO. Not the International District in Seattle. NO. They are moving to that small but financially and industrially influential island so far away I can’t even fathom flying to it until I can afford business class. How can I let go of this…



Alright, alright. So this picture was pre-squirrel – back when the livin’ was drunk and easy – but it kind of sums things up. That’s the Bobo’s Bronco aka “The Frog”. We are at the Pinnacles on the outskirts of Death Valley (just outside of Trona where the Marky Mark version of “Planet of the Apes” was filmed). We’re drinking beer from a local brewery that we’d drained from a keg into Tupperware pitchers to take with us. There was an awesome sunset and we were so happy and free.

So why think of this now. Well, this week I went to a work related dinner at the Hotel Del Coronado. Very swanky? Yes. But I always remember one particular weekend almost 4 years ago…

See, the Bobo was in the desert and Ah-sweep-ay was out of town. So Ruby and I decided to splurge and spend a night at the Del. We checked in and went straight to the bar. Several martinis later we went to dinner. A bottle of wine later we went back to the piano bar. Several more martinis later (and yes, my math is correct – remember, these livers had been in training) we finally went upstairs to crash. I sat on the floor to watch TV and fell asleep/passed out.

Ruby, as those of you who know her can attest, is OCD and was taking her usual pre-bed shower. When she came out, I was out cold and unwakeable. Despite this, I woke up comfortably on the furniture the next morning. “How did I get here? I don’t remember waking up,” I said. “You didn’t,” replied Ruby. See, OCD girl couldn’t stand to see her friend snoring on hotel carpeting. She called the front desk, amd asked them to send someone up to “help her move something”. When the bellman showed up, she pointed at me and asked him to put me on my bed – WHICH HE DID!!!. He kindly offered to call a doctor if necessary , but she pointed out that I was snoring comfortably. OH MY GOD!

When I was MORE THAN APPALLED the next AM, Ruby simply said, “Well, I couldn’t just let you sleep on the floor.” Oh, yeah. O.K.

But to this day, I can’t have a drink at the Del without wondering if any of the bellmen recognize me.

Comments:
I love you honey!
Ruby
 
it stinks when friends move away. I have always been the one who did the moving so in my case it was sad because I was leaving.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?