Sunday, January 01, 2006

 

Happy New Year

Happy New Year Everyone!

I was feeling rather lonely and alone. I had no plans for the New Year so I decided to throw myself a dinner party. One of my Christmas presents from my mom was a cookbook from the Willimas Sonoma “Mastering” series – Mastering Soups and Stews. I had chosen a recipe but it called for a heavy bottomed casserole pan. Not only did I not have one of these in Seattle, but I didn’t own one at all. So my New Years gift to myself was a Le Crueset dutch oven in flame orange…



I’ve always wanted one. Then I had an awesome shopping experience at Whole Foods. Just more proof that you should never shop when you’re hungry. This is what I ended up with.

Wine: Jigsaw Pinot Noir (Oregon 2004)
Cheese: Tomme Affine (Goat Cheese)
Pate: Pate (Pate Confit)
Other: Cornichons and Picholine Olives
Bread: Sourdough Baguette



Stew: Beef & Red Wine Stew



Desert: Clementine Oranges and Nutella

Prior to my food shopping extravaganza, I stopped at a large chain bookstore where I bought myself two additional holiday gifts – the new Ralph Steadman book “Untrodden Grapes” and the DVD collection of the first season of Twin Peaks. Steadman is my favorite illustrator as well as a wonderful wine journalist. And as for the Twin Peaks – I had planned on watching it tonight but Ruby has never seen it so I’m saving it for when she comes to visit. So I bought the 40 year old Virgin to watch instead.

Quote of the Night:
“Yeah, you know what? You guys wouldn’t be laughing right now if some girl had just vomited shellfish sandwich into your mouth.”

More tomorrow…

Comments:
Happy New Year to you too and yes Dag is fine. The heavy bottoms cookwear is lovely.
 
Happy New Years Stampy. The stew looks yummy!
 
Oh my God. You combined le crueset and whole foods in one post. You are my hero . The stew and appetizers look amazing. You obviously have a very sophisticated palate.

Happy new years ms stampy stamp.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?