Tuesday, December 27, 2005

 

Random Task

Spike TV has been having the 8 days of 007 and Goldmember's "OddJob" reminded me of Austin Powers' "RandomTask". It's the little things that make me laugh. Here are some "random thoughts" that have caught me off guard or provoked a chuckle over the last few days...

1. A special on VH1 which had a clip on the new stars of 2005 stated that having BustaRhymes in their video provided the PussyCat Dolls with "street cred".

2. On the Food Network, the Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten) was preparing "Chicken with Morels". She stated that morels had a wonderful earthy taste, "much like sweatsocks".

3. I've never seen "The Office" before, and I still haven't seen a full episode. Tonight, however, I caught part of an episode with the following conversation...
"No one cares about your beet farm."
"People love beets."
"People hate beets."
"Everybody likes beets."
"No one likes beets."
"Why don't you try growing something people like, like candy. I'd love a piece of candy."

4. Tonight, I was having dinner at Cafe Campagne in Seattle (Champagne, Pate, Cotes du Rhone, Mussles and greens). I was reading I DIDN'T DO IT FOR YOU, a book about Eritrea. Sitting at the bar, there was a couple one seat down from me. The woman turned to me and said, "That looks like a great book. Something I'd read." I told her it was about colonialism in Africa. She asked, "Does it have lots of romance and violence and plot twists?" If one finds international relations and third world politics exciting, the answer might me yes. For her, I'm thinking "not so much". She finished with, "well, it's got a really great cover". Shortly thereafter, while I was busy blanking out the stupidity of the previous interaction, the guy she was with went to the bathroom. She leaned towards me. "This is the worst date ever. I can't wait to get out of here." "Why don't you leave." "I'm hungry."

5. Caught a taxicab home. NPR was playing in the cab and I got into a conversation with the cabdriver. He then spent the last 5 minutes of the drive home (including an awkward 90 seconds in front of my building) with him telling me about people he'd seen shot and people he'd seen dead on the street. Not funny ha ha this time. Egads.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?